Comfortably Align Your Smile at Smiles for Life
Don’t let the idea of traditional metal braces convince you to let your smile stay crooked and unhealthy. At Smiles for Life, our Auburn dentist provides a discreet and comfortable alternative to braces: Invisalign®. With Invisalign, patients can correct their alignment issues while living normally without unwanted food restrictions or the embarrassing look of metal brackets and wires.
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Heffelfinger to discuss Invisalign treatment, call our dental office at 260-925-4290.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment that uses removable, clear aligners to gradually straighten teeth. These clear aligners are custom-created to meet every patient’s needs. Patients will swap out their trays every two weeks, straightening their teeth in phases. Best of all, treatment can be completed in as little as 12 months, half the time as traditional braces.
What Does Invisalign Correct?
With Invisalign, patients can correct mild to moderate orthodontic issues. Our Auburn dentist may recommend Invisalign treatment for patients suffering with:
- Crowded teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Open bite
Not only will Invisalign straighten your smile, but you’ll also enjoy the following benefits:
- Clear Appearance — Unlike noticeable braces, Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible so no one will even know that you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Fast — With Invisalign, patients can achieve a beautifully straight smile in as little as 12 months.
- Removable — The aligners are designed to be removed, meaning you can enjoy all of your favorite foods without any restrictions. However, make sure you’re wearing your aligners for at least 22 hours a day.
- Comfortable — Invisalign is customized specifically for you so you can rest assured they’ll fit comfortably in your mouth without the worry of brackets and wires poking your gums.
- Low-Maintenance — Invisalign aligners allow you to maintain your regular at-home oral hygiene routine, without the worry of trying to brush your teeth with brackets in the way.
The Invisalign Process
At our Auburn, IN dental office, the Invisalign process is simple and consists of the following steps:
- Consultation: You’ll start your new smile journey with an initial consultation with Dr. Heffelfinger. During this visit, he’ll listen to your smile goals and evaluate your teeth and oral health to determine if Invisalign is suitable for your orthodontic needs.
- Aligner Wear: With Invisalign, you’ll receive a series of custom aligners that gradually shift your teeth into the proper position. You’ll wear your aligners for a minimum of 20 to 22 hours a day, only removing them for eating, drinking, and oral care. Your aligners will be swapped out every two weeks to achieve the desired result.
- Your New Smile: For most patients, Invisalign treatments take between 12 and 18 months to complete. It’s possible to notice results within the first few weeks of wearing your aligners. Our Auburn dentist will monitor your progress and adjust your treatment plan if necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it’s possible to switch from braces to Invisalign. However, it may not be an option for all patients depending on their orthodontic issues. For those suffering from mild to moderate orthodontic problems, talk to your dentist and they may recommend making the switch from braces to Invisalign.
While Invisalign may cause some discomfort in the beginning, treatment is relatively painless. Invisalign is far more comfortable to wear than traditional braces and doesn’t require frequent visits to the dentist for tightening. The discomfort felt when you first start wearing your aligners should fade within a few days.
Yes, most insurance plans cover at least a portion of the expenses associated with Invisalign. Reach out to your provider to get a more detailed explanation of your insurance coverage and if it will cover the cost of Invisalign treatment.
All you need to do to care for your aligners is brush them every morning when you wake up and every night before you go to bed. To prevent damaging your aligners, use a soft-bristled toothbrush and avoid abrasive cleaning solutions.
It’s also crucial that you remember to take out your aligners before meals and brush your teeth before putting them back in. This prevents food crumbs and bacteria from getting trapped in your teeth and causing an infection.